[Sca-cooks] Spices was licorice,

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Mon Feb 23 17:19:31 PST 2004

At 04:57 PM 2/23/2004, you wrote:
>   Interesting question, this could be the one that really puts the usage to
>the test!  All the references I can find online call it a spice.  They also
>however give it locations that almost match the definition that I was given.
>(Tropical).  I say almost because they also include some locations I would
>call Mediterranean rather than tropical.  Most notably Spain and Greece.
>These pages however show no references to the British Isles.  Now this I
>believe is wrong.  I am not familiar with English references, but I have
>seen Irish references for Saffron, though at the time I was looking at
>clothing references rather than foodways!  The list I was looking at was
>supposed to be historical sources, but I suspect it was in fact modern
>sources.

Hmm.
IIRC, the references I saw for saffron being grown in England were not
on-line or in a cooking source, but in an upper-division class on the
Economy of England in the 14th and 15th c. The texts however are on a
bookshelf some 180 miles away, as usual.
YMMV.

'Lainie
"To announce that there must be no criticism of the president ... right or
wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to
the American public." -- Teddy Roosevelt, 1918