[Sca-cooks] Spices was licorice,

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Mon Feb 23 16:36:36 PST 2004

At 02:36 PM 2/23/2004, you wrote:
>It's considered a spice because it is expensive and rare (like spices), but
>technically it would be considered an herb - from the leaves and floral
>parts of the plant.
>Christianna
>

>Given that I was taught (can't remember by whom....) that an herb is one
>where we use the leaves, etc., and a spice is one where we use the
>seeds, bark, nut, etc., I have always considered saffron a spice.

But Christianna, by your draw, cloves are an herb, because they are part of
the flower of the plant! And pepper...

'Lainie
-majorly confuzled now. Master A?
"To announce that there must be no criticism of the president ... right or
wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to
the American public." -- Teddy Roosevelt, 1918