[Sca-cooks] catching drippings

mtraber251 at earthlink.net mtraber251 at earthlink.net
Tue Feb 24 01:43:08 PST 2004

Stefan, I made this at pensic about 4 years ago...remember the 'chicken baklava'?

I had experimented with modern qa'taifa and hated the results, and made it by taking lavsh, and layering it with the other ingredients, then soaking saffron in sesame oil, rubbed down a large number of chicken thighs with the seasoned oil, then mixed the oil with rosewater and such and placed the thighs on top of the whole misheva and poured in the rosewater/safron/sesame oil and baked....it was the first year we had the kitchen range in camp=)

i also had other middle eastern stuff that dinner....

sorry for the delay, but i am still in germany and sort of sporadically diving into the list depending on what we have scheduled for the day=)

[and i promise, cookies, chocolate and assorted other stuff to the appropriate people already discussed with...though last call for begging for oblaten or other specific ingredients....email me onlist as earthlink is doing funky stuff with nonlist email and sorry for the bandwidth in advance(]

Stefan asked and caridoc replied:

> Interesting. Can you give some examples of these Middle Eastern recipes? Are the foods put under the meats breads or vegetables or different items? Also, are these items being baked in an oven? Or actually roasted, such as on spits near the fire? Since the dripping are recognized now for the flavor they bring now, and I suppose then, I can see that capturing and using these drippings would often be done.

I've just skimmed through al-Bagdadi, and umless I'm missing something, the only recipes in that book with the chickens above for dripping are recipes for Judhab--here is a sample:

Judhab Lhubz al-Qata'if. Take qata'if-bread as required: spray the dish with a little rose-water, and place the bread thereon in layers, putting between each layer almonds and sugar, or pistachio ground fine: spray again with rose-water. When the bread fills the dish, pour on a little fresh sesame-oil, and cover with syrup. Hang over it a fat plucked chicken, smeared with saffron: when cooked, remove. Small stuffed qata'if are also treated in this way.