[Sca-cooks] Need some Help with Spanish Recipes....

Barbara Benson vox8 at mindspring.com
Tue Feb 24 22:41:12 PST 2004

Greetings,

I have worked with de Nola some. I am sure that these will be some repeats,
but it is always fun to compare:

> Figs in a French Manner  de Nola 131
5 Dried Mission Figs
1 Dried Calamata Fig
1 C Sweet White Wine
Cinnamon, Cloves, Grains of Paradise, Ground Ginger, Mace

Remove stems from figs and place the figs into a small ovenproof ramekin.
Pour some white wine over the figs and use the wine to wash the sugar off of
the outside. Add more wine until all of the figs have a good bit of wine
around them, but do not cover with wine. Place in a 350 degree F oven. Cook
uncovered until you reach a boil (about 20 min) and then cover with aluminum
foil. Cook for 40 more minutes and then remove the cover and cook for a
final 5 minutes. Remove from the oven and then spice to taste. Stir in
spices until well coated and serve hot.

> Pottage of Onions that is called Cebollada   de Nola 46
I did not do this one, but I did do To Make Whole Onions in Casserole on a
Lenten Day and they went over like gangbusters. I served them with a garlic
walnut dipping sauce.
Onions
Salt
Flour
Olive oil

Take your onions and peel them and then boil them until they are soft enough
to pierce with a bamboo skewer to the center with little resistance. Remove
from water and pierce all about with a knife and then place on a rack to
allow to drain. Fill a deep baking pan with olive oil until it is deep
enough to come half way up the side of your onions. Put the baking pan in
the oven and heat until just below the smoking point. Test with a candy
thermometer and do not use until the right temperature. Take your onions and
dampen them and then roll them in a mixture of flour and salt. If you are
doing several you can set the onions back on the racks and then re-roll them
in flour until well coated. Place the onions in the very hot oil gently and
then close in the oven. Cook until they are golden brown and then flip over
to brown the other side. When they are completely golden brown, serve
immediately.

> Meat Casserole                 de Nola 124
1 t Ground Ginger
1/2 t Ground Nutmeg
1 t Grains of Paradise
15 - 18 Threads Saffron
1 C Bitter Orange Juice
2 T Olive Oil
1/2 t Ground Cinnamon
2 Cloves Ground
2 Eggs
4 C Beef Broth
3 lbs Beef (chuck)

Put 1/2 C of orange juice into a cup and add ginger, nutmeg, and crushed
Grains of Paradise - mix well. Cut beef into walnut sized chunks. Use a
large oven proof covered pot (like a dutch oven). Preheat oven to 300
degrees F. Place pot on the top of the stove and add enough olive oil to
coat the bottom. Bring olive oil up to heat but do not allow to smoke. Add
beef chunks and stir to sear on all sides. Add the orange juice/spice
mixture and beef broth. Stir in well and then allow to come to boil. Once
boiling, cover and move to oven. Cook for approximately 2 hours or until the
meat is very tender. Remove from oven and allow to cool. Drain off all but
1/2 inch of juices (reserve for a sauce if desired). Add the cinnamon and
cloves to the eggs and beat well. Temper egg mixture with the beef juices
and then add egg mixture to the pot, whisking well. Bring the pottage back
up to heat but just to a simmer. Just before you will serve add the
remaining 1/2 C of orange juice, bring to heat and stir well.

> Armored Hen                    de Nola 33
I attempted this at a feast in a Popiel Rotisserie and it was a disaster. We
ended up just roasting chickens.

> Pottage of Noodles            de Nola 59
3 C Water
2 Chicken Bullion Cubes
10 oz Egg Noodles
2 Tb Butter
1 1/2 C Almond Milk
3/4 C Parmesean Cheese

Bring water and bullion to boil and add butter and noodles. Cook for 5
minutes stirring frequently. Add the almond milk and cook for 6 more minutes
stirring frequently. Remove pot from flame and allow to rest covered for
about 5 minutes. Transfer to a serving bowl and shake cheese evenly over
top.

> Oranges of Xativa which are Cheesecakes     de Nola 133
I redacted these and decided that they were way too much work for too little
wow, so I did not use them in a feast:
1/4 C Warm Water
1 Pk Yeast
1 Pinch Sugar
Combine and allow to bloom.
1/2 C Cottage Cheese Drained and room Temperature
4 oz Cream Cheese
1 Egg
1/2 t Yeast
Combine and allow to sit.
2 1/2 C Flour
Honey
Sugar
Cinnamon

Combine Flour and bloomed yeast in water, combine and knead until mixed.
Allow to rest for 30 minutes. Punch down dough and knead in cheese, add
extra flour if needed (to compensate for liquid in cheese) until the dough
comes together in a ball. Oil a bowl and put dough into it, turning once to
coat. Cover and allow to rest for 15 minutes. Punch down and add more flower
until dough is workable. Divide into walnut sized pieces and form into balls
(oil your hands) - place onto greased cookie sheet and cover with a damp
towel. Allow to rest 10 - 15 minutes.  Bring oil of choice to high
temperature to fry. Carefully drop in balls of dough, do not crowd the pan
and be careful not to deflate. Remove when golden brown. Drizzel with honey
and sprinkle with sugar and cinnamon.

I hope these can be of some help.

Glad Tidings,
Serena da Riva