[Sca-cooks] Better than baba ganoush, but is it period?

Elaine Koogler ekoogler1 at comcast.net
Fri Feb 27 14:47:15 PST 2004

Daniel Myers wrote:

> On Feb 27, 2004, at 11:25 AM, Christiane wrote:
>
> Sounds sort of like caponata.  I love the stuff, but I have no idea if
> it's period or not.  It vaguely resembles some period recipes that
> preserve (at least for a short time) vegetables in oil and vinegar.
> Below  are the recipes I have for it - though I can't tell you offhand
> which one I tried, or if it was a combination of them all.
>
> - Doc

The recipes look great!  Thanks a bunch.  Got a question, however.  My
sweetie and I have just started the South Beach Diet, and this looks
like someting we can have, except for the sugar.  Do you think it would
work to substitute Splenda for the sugar?

Also, there is a Roman recipe from Cato for a dish that sounds a lot
like a tapenade:
               Make green, black, or varicolored epityrum in this way.
Pit the green, black, or varicolored olives. Season them thus: Chop
them, and add oil, vinegar,
               coriander, cumin, fennel, rue, and mint. Put them in a
small jar, with oil on top and they are ready to use.

I made it for a feast some years back and it was wonderful.  I did a
redaction, which follows...please forgive the fact that it's for 104
people!

 13   4.25oz can Olives, green or black
3/4   cup Olive oil
3/4   cup vinegar
1/4   cup coriander
1/4   cup cumin
1/4   cup fennel
1/4   cup rue
1/4   cup mint

Pit the olives, then mix them in a blender with the herbs, olive oil,
and vinegar. Avoid the temptation to add any salt, since the olives we
buy today are already sufficiently salted.

Redacted from directions in "A Taste of Ancient Rome"

Greeks and Romans at this with cheese, whence the derivation of its name
(epityrum =   over cheese).

Kiri

--
Learning is a lifetime journey…growing older merely adds experience to knowledge
and wisdom to curiosity.