[Sca-cooks] Better than baba ganoush, but is it period?

Susan Fox-Davis selene at earthlink.net
Fri Feb 27 11:07:49 PST 2004

Gianotta  wrote:

>My husband and I went out last night to our favorite little Turkish restaurant. The owners also operate a deli up the road where I get my rosewater for cosmetics and cooking, my tahini, and great fresh bread and fresh feta and other goodies. But I digress. I picked out as an appetizer this cold dish comprising roasted eggplant, chopped coarsely and mixed with parley, green pepper, bits of carrot, lemon juice, vinegar, garlic, and olive oil. It was heaven spread on the hot bread with bits of onion, sesame, and poppyseed that was brought to our table. And it was not bitter at all, which is what I find most eggplant dishes to be
>
>I didn't catch the name of the dish, but it definitely seems more of a relation to tapenade. Turkish tapenade, if you will. I have vowed to track down a recipe. Anyone have a recipe that's similar, but period? Are tapenades period?

Is this something like it?  I don't have a Turkish name for it but this
looks similar.

      Turkish Eggplant Salad
       <http://home.att.net/~ashburysaubergines/t-z/a61.htm>

1 large eggplant
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 clove garlic, minced or pressed
1 cup plain yogurt
1 medium-sized bell pepper, seeded and finely chopped
salt and pepper
romaine lettuce leaves
2 tomatoes
2 tablespoons chopped parsley

With a fork, pierce skin of eggplant. Bake eggplant in a rimmed pan in a
400 degrees oven for 1 hour or until very soft; cool. Split in half and
scoop out pulp into a bowl. Mash pulp with a fork. Mix in oil, lemon
juice, garlic, green pepper and salt and pepper to taste. Cover and
chill for 2 hours.

To serve: Arrange romaine lettuce leaves on platter. Mound eggplant in
center. Garnish with tomato wedges and fresh parsley.

Serves 6.

Or maybe:

      Title: TURKISH EGGPLANT SALAD
  Categories: Salads, Appetizers, Vegetables
       Yield: 4 servings

       1 lg Eggplant
            Juice of 1/2 lemon
            Salt
     1/3 c  Extra virgin olive oil
       2 ts Mashed garlic
   2 1/2 tb Vinegar
            Tomato slices, onion slices
            -- black Greek olives for
            -- garnish

   Cook unpeeled eggplant until it is charred on the
   outside & the flesh is thoroughly soft.  Cool slightly
   & then peel.  Wipe clean & squeeze out all the water.

   Place eggplant in a bowl with the lemon juice & salt.
   Mash well.  Add olive oil, garlic & vinegar, blend
   thoroughly.  Serve on a plate garnished with tomato,
   onion & olives.

   Ayla Esen Algar, "The Complete Book of Turkish Cooking"