[Sca-cooks] EDIT YOUR MESSAGES, PLEASE!

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Wed Jan 14 12:21:31 PST 2004

Why, yes, i *AM* shouting. On this list for quite some time now I'm
seeing a multitude of messages with three and four sets of footers
!!! and long threads of messages that are no longer relevant to the
answers !!!

There is primarily a small number of people doing this, but doing it
repeatedly. We all goof once in a while, but this has been
consistent. Please, take a look at the messages you receive from the
list and you'll know who you are.

I've been biting my tongue for days, but today was finally the last
straw for me.

While i enjoy our conversations here, i HATE HATE HATE long strings
of repeated messages and endless sets of footers. Maybe it's just me
and my own personal quirk. I moderate an e-mail list and i send back
messages that don't cut off the footers. Posters soon learn to edit
their posts.

First, it is considered good netiquette to edit the messages to which
you are responding. Often messages here cover several topics. If you
are only responding to one of them, edit out the parts that are not
relevant to your message. And there is rarely a need to have three
messages appended to your own new one.

Second, no one needs to see the SCA-Cooks e-mail list's own footer
more than once per message. Remove the darn things from the messages
to which you are responding. Seeing them three and four and five
times, such that they practically fill my screen by themselves, is
driving me crazy -- and i was already close enough to walk.

Third, cut off the footers attached by web-mail programs and some
other mail clients. We don't need to see notes from Yahoo and Hotmail
and other such sources over and over, either. Same goes for messages
about how the message has been virus checked or the message does not
express the views of the company. The original sender couldn't help
having these things appended. You, however, can remove them from your

Fourth, if the message to which you are responding has a sig line
(quotes, cute sayings, ascii art, etc.) remove them unless they are
relevant to your response, which they rarely are.

We are Cooks. We should know how to cut, cut cut. Hack, hack, hack.
Slash, slash, slash. Filet, debone, uh, i think i better stop now and
take a deep breath.

I will now go and hyperventilate at the Rock while sipping on a warm
soothing beverage.

Anahita