[Sca-cooks] Re: brining vs pickling

Lora Weems.Leofwynn atte Gos muchosnombresfarm at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 15 09:01:21 PST 2004

Leofwynn commented:
In addition to jams, pickles and so forth, salted, smoked and dired foods. And pickles are not just fruits and veggies - eggs and meat were (and are) pickled. (altho when it is meat, it's called brining)

Then Stefan said:Even when the meat is soaked in a vat of vinegar as opposed to salty water?

Lord's Salt comes to mind.

and Leofwynn responds:

(shrug) Idunno.  I just know that in all the instructions I have, for preserving meats (except canning) say to 'brine', and the brine will usually contain salt, sugar, vinegar, and (optional spices or other flavorings, such as maple).

This is a prep for smoking and drying.  I have never done corning, but I have seen some recipes and they appear to also have mixtures of salt, sugars, and vinegars.

On the other hand, the recipe I have in front of me for pickled pig feet (Don't know how old, but the note says "Old Polish Recipe")  looks like a cucumber pickle recipe.

So, is the word "Pickle" a variable term?

Leofwynn