[Sca-cooks] organ meats

Harris Mark.S-rsve60 Mark.s.Harris at motorola.com
Thu Jan 15 13:22:56 PST 2004

Angharad ferch Iorwerth asked:
... why is it that
organ meats such as brain, liver, kidney, heart, tripe, and aye, even
testicles have been consumed, are consumed, but I have never heard of a dish
made of bull, pig, or sheep penises....do other cultures consume them and
only we have some kind of taboo?
<<<<
Ah, but we *do* have recipes for these. You've just been looking in the wrong places. :-) Take a look at this file in the FOOD-MEATS section of the Florilegium, or use search engine located on the top page of the site.
organ-meats-msg   (72K)  2/11/02    Period cooking of organ meats.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-MEATS/organ-meats-msg.html

I think the society with the major tabooes is likely to be our own. Although affluence, which doesn't require that all parts of an animal be eaten plays its part.

For another, more commonly used organ meat, see:
liver-msg         (37K)  2/11/02    Medieval cooking of liver. Recipes.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-MEATS/liver-msg.html

Stefan