[Sca-cooks] French table Service and Web site

Barbara Benson vox8 at mindspring.com
Tue Jan 20 10:02:52 PST 2004

Greetings,

I have a new (to me) book on Medival Calanders and I was reading through it
last night. In one chapter it talks about the month of January and the New
Years feast illumination in Tres Riches Heures. In discussing what the
responsibilities of the individuals in the image are doing they provide a
supporting quote on the wine ceremony from "Estat de la maison du duc
Charles de Bourgogne". I had never ssen this (but I am new at this) so I
decided to see what I could find. And it was very little.

Does anyone know if this text is available? And if it is translated into
English? I managed to find a French site, but it pretty much has the same
passage as is in my book.
Original page:
http://expositions.bnf.fr/gastro/recettes/vin.htm
After Google Translation:
http://translate.google.com/translate?sourceid=navclient-menuext&hl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fexpositions%2Ebnf%2Efr%2Fgastro%2Frecettes%2Fvin%2Ehtm
And the translation in my book is vastly superior to the Google Translation.

Wondering about the site that it came from I deleted the url back to the
source and found a really interesting website. Possibly others have already
found it, but I thought I would share anyway. If nothing else is has a vast
array fo images regarding Gardening, Food, Feasting and Cooking.
Original:
http://expositions.bnf.fr/gastro/index.htm

Unfortunately I do not read French so I had to do with the partial
translation provided by Google:
http://216.239.39.104/translate_c?hl=en&u=http://expositions.bnf.fr/gastro/index.htm

If any of you French speaking type people out there haven't seen it, let me
know if it is as interesting as it appears to be.

Glad Tidings,
Serena da Riva