[Sca-cooks] Shepherd's Pie

Phlip phlip at 99main.com
Mon Jan 26 17:43:48 PST 2004

Margali and I were discussing this, after I made her some Buckeye John
Marzetti for dinner tonight, and mentioned that I'd usually cook Shepherd's
Pie, when I needed a smilar warm casserole -type dish. I then continued part
of the discussion with Adamantius, and I posted him the following:

Ene bichizh ogsen baina shuu...

Margali and I got to discussing Shepherd's Pie- I always made the "filling "
with ground beef, corn, green beans, onion, and tomato sauce, then the
potatoes, of course, as the crust. She was telling me that in western NY, it
was always the beef, gravy, and maybe some onions- nothing else. I thought
it was interesting since I learned it in NH....

Just checked "Joy of Cooking", and they put the crust over their "hash"-
Diced potatoes, cooked onions, parboiled green peppers, chopped celery,
pimento, and diced cooked meat, with gravy or creamed soup,  and tomato
puree, with their bread crumb au gratin. I'd always grated cheese over it.
Think I'll bring this part of the discussion to Cook's List...

How do you folks make Shepherd's Piue? While I've used diced leftover roast
for it, everybody I know has always made it with tomato sauce and
vegetables. The only purely meat and potato meal I'm familiar with from Ohio
is the beef/pork/chicken/turkey open faced sandwiches, with lots of mashed
potatoes and gravy.

Other than special things like red eye os sausage gravy, gravy in our family
was only an accompaniment with the dinner's meat, rather than an ingredient
in a later casserole.

Saint Phlip,
CoDoLDS

 Blacksmith's credo.