[Sca-cooks] Caldo Verde, broccoli rabe, and Saladura

Christiane christianetrue at earthlink.net
Fri Jan 30 08:59:11 PST 2004

Caldo verde rocks, thanks for posting this recipe. Yum yum yum yum!

I'm actually a little disappointed in my local supermarket; a Spanish family took it over, and while they are stocking tons of manchego and other interesting cheeses, they don't have chorizo. I am going to ask if they can start carrying some!

Does anyone have any interesting broccoli rabe recipes? I just take a bunch, chop it up, put it in a pan with olive oil, garlic, sundried tomatoes, and mushrooms, and saute gently while pouring in white wine and some lemon juice. I'll either serve it with pasta or mix in a can of white beans right at the end.The white wine seems to counteract the inherent bitterness of the broccoli rabe somewhat.

Also, has anyone here ever heard of saladura? It's a type of pickled green tomato salad my aunt makes. Green tomatoes, capers, olives, celery, small hot green pickled cherry peppers, vinegar, really good olive oil. Supersalty, but really good with fresh mozzarella.

Gianotta