[Sca-cooks] obscure measurements

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 2 07:09:33 PST 2004

--- "Phil Troy/ G. Tacitus Adamantius"
<adamantius at verizon.net> wrote:

> I was emptying out my mailbox (over 9000
> messages) and ran across
> this a few days late. Sorry...

Wow! Popular guy ... I wish I had a mailbox that
held so many messages.  Mine freaks out when
I approach 1000 and sends dire warnings if I
don't clear them out fast enough.

> I vaguely remember cheese glasses (although
> what actually came in
> them, I don't know, because we didn't eat a lot
> of spreadable cheeses
> except for cream cheese).

They held spreadable cream cheese products.  I
think that Kraft were the ones to start this.
The two flavors that I remember were pineapple
cream cheese and pink pimento cream cheese.  Both
were used to "stuff" celery sticks or were spread
on bread for a cream cheese sandwich, which I
remember that I loved as a child.

> I seem to recall
> their resembling a 4-ounce
> juice glass. It seems to me that everyday,
> not-very-fancy glassware
> sets, once upon a time, and perhaps even now,
> had a miniature tumbler
> for juice, which held four ounces, which was
> sized and shaped in
> proportion to the larger water tumbler, which
> held 8 or maybe as much
> as ten ounces.

I still own a dozen or more.  Initially, they
were plain glass with decals on them.  Some of
what I have left have silhouettes of Victorian
domestic life.  Another set had colored animals
on them.
What I have left are brown bears, green bunnies
and red roosters.  Then they came out with
glasses that looked like cut glass but without
the decals.

I was in an antique mall a couple of months ago
and saw a set of the decal glasses for sale.  I
was tempted to buy them, but didn't when I
discovered that they wanted $5 per glass!

Huette

=====
shall never cease to be amused.