[Sca-cooks] obscure measurements

AEllin Olafs dotter aellin at earthlink.net
Fri Jan 2 17:33:41 PST 2004

I remember cheese glasses that were like brandy glasses... with this
black diamond shaped pattern. I think there may still be one kicking
around somewhere - either here (my grandmother's old place) or in my
mom's things. I know I came across one not that long ago...  Though I'm
quite sure no one in my family ever used anything like it for brandy -
we did have crystal -  can't remember what they did use them for!

Shrimp cocktail still comes in glasses with the odd lids. And I'm trying
to remember if it was that, or another cheese glass, that had a sort of
a footed stem...

Now, jelly glasses, in this context,  were the Welch's Grape Jelly ones
with cartoon characters on them. Ours were Flintstones...  They were a
lot bigger - not the jelly glasses I use to make jelly, but rather 8 oz
tumblers one used to drink one's milk with one's PBJ, or, conversely,
bologna, sandwiches for lunch.

Now, juice glasses... There was this custom that one drank a small
glass  of (usually) orange juice first thing in the morning. For your
Vitamin C. You wanted a small amount because you were then still going
to consume your coffee, your milk on your cereal, whatever... and
there's a limit to the amount of liquid one wants! (And OJ with milk is
pretty horrid...) It didn't seem to occur to anyone I knew to drink
juice at any other time of the day. Even if you liked it. (Children, of
course, drank milk with meals - adults tea or coffee.) So of course you
made sure you got it in the mornings... and we took our vitamins with
it. And my father seemed convinced that we would get scurvy without
it... Mom made a small frozen concentrate, which is 3 cups, every
morning, and the four of us drank it. So we were extravagant - 6 ounces
each!

AEllin

Phil Troy/ G. Tacitus Adamantius wrote: <Snipped>