[Sca-cooks] (no subject)

Tara Sersen Boroson tara at kolaviv.com
Wed Jan 7 08:03:11 PST 2004

>   In winter, let fresh, unpasteurized cream stand 12 hours, (in summer,
>   about 6 hours) in a heat-proof dish.  Then put the cream on to heat -
>   the lower the heat the better.  It must never boil, as this will
>   coagulate the albumen and ruin everything.

Erm... albumen?  Albumen is a protein in egg whites, not cream.  It's
frequently the allergenic factor in eggs, so I'm pretty confident in
saying that there is absolutely none in milk products.  Here's a
breakdown of the components of milk:
http://www.siu.edu/~tw3a/434minet.htm

The protein that most people think of relative to milk is casein - which
is the most common allergenic component of dairy.  I've never heard of
casein coagulating in the same way as albumen, so it's not at all clear
to me what this recipe is talking about...

-Magdalena

--
Tara Sersen Boroson

You cannot teach a man anything, you can only help him to find it for himself. - Galileo Galilei