[Sca-cooks]clotted cream (was no subject)

Robert Downie rdownie at mb.sympatico.ca
Wed Jan 7 12:20:08 PST 2004

"Carper, Rachel" wrote:

>  And does this sound right? I've never
> encountered the let sit out
> instruction before.
>
>    In winter, let fresh, unpasteurized cream stand 12 hours, (in summer,
>    about 6 hours) in a heat-proof dish.  Then put the cream on to heat -
>    the lower the heat the better.  It must never boil, as this will
>    coagulate the albumen and ruin everything.
>
> Elewyiss

Yup, it looks right.  Nothing new under the sun...

Hugh Plat's Delightes for Ladies 1603

c23 clouted creame
Take your milke beeing newe milked, and presently set it vpon the fire from
morning vntil the euening, but let it not seethe, and this is called my Lady
Youngs clowted creame.

The only thing not mentioned in these instructions is the setting aside to
chill, but it was probably assumed everyone knew to do that.  I sometimes
wonder what the medieval mind would make of some of our modern idiot proof
cookbooks which detail _every_ single step!

Faerisa