[Sca-cooks] Re:peach pit molds

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sat Jan 10 21:19:14 PST 2004

Olwen said:
> Stefan, did you see my nut molds last Pennsic?
No, I don't believe I did.
> A couple years ago I made molds from Sculpy.
If I ended up making my own molds, a clay is what I had in mind. The
peach pit mold that I bought, and which I know others here bought as
the potterer was all sold out by the time I got there, was made of
clay. But we've talked about making molds out of Sculpy here before.
That would be much easier for me to do without having my own kiln.
> I found that if you hunt to find the biggest shell and
> the absolute smallest nutmeat is the best.  I have often made marzipan
> almonds (yes, with the darker "skin" and the natural colour inside),
> in and
> out of the (sugarplate) shell, and the same with walnuts.
I wasn't getting that ambitious. I'd be rather happy if I could just
make walnut shells that would fool folks. I was thinking of some kind
of trinket inside. The ones who choose correctly get a trinket. The
ones who don't get a nut.
> Quite fun.
> Cracks Chirhart up!  We have since discovered that tossing some of the
> marzipan nutmeats in with the spiced nuts is quite a treat too!
That's an interesting idea, too. The spiced nuts often have some kind
of spice covering and that would help hide any imperfections in the
marzipan fakes. A rough, rather than a smooth surface would seem to do
better or at least be easier. That is probably why the peach pits work
so well. Even then, the next time I do those I will use (or make) a
finer grained marzipan than I made last time. Probably using one of
Olwen's mixes rather than grinding my own almonds.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com