[Sca-cooks] Looking for Crab recipes

Bronwynmgn at aol.com Bronwynmgn at aol.com
Sun Jan 11 05:30:51 PST 2004

In a message dated 1/10/2004 6:04:05 PM Eastern Standard Time,
DeeWolff at aol.com writes:

<<Hi, I have stepped out of kitchener semi-retirement and am looking for crab
recipes.
I am working on an "Everyman's"menu: specifically on the English Isles
(Cornwall, Ireland, Wales,Scotland, etc)>>

How about Crabbe or Lopster Boiled from Harleian MS 4016 (1450):
     Take a crabbe or a lopster, and stop him in the vente with on of hire
clees, and seth him in water, and no salt; or else stoppe him in the same maner,
and cast him in an oven, and bake him, and serve him forth cold.  And his
sauce is vinegre.

Can't get much simpler than that, although I don't quite get the "stop him in
the vent with one of her claws" instruction, and Cindy Renfrow doesn't list
that one in her phrase glossary at the back of Take a Thousand Eggs.

There's also, Vyaunde de cyprys in lente, from Harleain MS 279 (1430):
     Take good thikke mylke of Almaundys, do it on a potte; & nyme the
F(le)ysshe of gode Crabbys, and gode Samoun, & bray it smal, and tempere yt uppe
with the forsayd mylke; boyle it, and lye it with floure of Rys or Amyndoun, an
make it chargeaunt; when it ys y-boylid, do ther-to whyte Sugre, a gode
quantyte of whyte Vernage Pime3 with the wyne, Pome-garnade.  Whan it is y-dressyd,
straw a-bove the grayne of Pome-garnade

Bit more involved, and more expensive as it involves both salmon and
pomegranites as well as the crab.

<<I especially need recipes with stretchers (pie/cakes) as to not destroy the
budget (I also have pork and lamb on the menu)>>

Hmmm.  I find bean recipes to be great stretchers myself, as they are cheap
and a bag of dried beans makes a LOT of cooked food.

Brangwayna