[Sca-cooks] Looking for Crab recipes

Phil Troy/ G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius at verizon.net
Sun Jan 11 07:43:44 PST 2004

Also sprach DeeWolff at aol.com:
>So, Am I right in discovering that there a few crab recipes available in
>period (2 that I know of)??
>
>Have we no crab cakes or in a coffin, or with rice?? I was hoping to do
>something other than the familiar...
>
>Andrea

There don't seem to be too many of them. You've got the Harleian MS
recipe (which basically says to boil them and serve with vinegar),
and one or two others, essentially identical. Then you've got the
dressed crab in the Proper Neue (or is it Neue Proper?) Boke of
Cokery, which involves picking the meat out of the shell, seasoning
it with vinegar, and maybe some butter (I forget, offhand), and
packing it back into the shell.

Chiquart has a stuffed crayfish tail which calls for the chopped,
cooked meat to be seasoned (vinegar?) and chopped parsley added,
stuffed back into two of the tail shells, like a sandwich, and fried
in oil. I'd be a little concerned about the lack of any binder to the
stuffing. Maybe you have to tie the shells together.

You said you were looking for something to bulk out the crab. I
think, if I were you, I'd do a blomanger of fish and just use
crabmeat, maybe garnishing with a smaller percentage of crab shells
so people know what they're getting into (Hint:
PRE...COOK..THE...RICE...!!!).

Are you thinking of doing blue crabs on the hoof, as it were, or just
getting hold of processed crabmeat?

Adamantius