[Sca-cooks] Looking for Crab recipes

Phil Troy/ G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius at verizon.net
Sun Jan 11 09:16:01 PST 2004

Also sprach Phlip:
>Ene bichizh ogsen baina shuu...
>
>>  You said you were looking for something to bulk out the crab. I
>>  think, if I were you, I'd do a blomanger of fish and just use
>>  crabmeat, maybe garnishing with a smaller percentage of crab shells
>>  so people know what they're getting into (Hint:
>>  PRE...COOK..THE...RICE...!!!).
>
>Gee, Adamantius, what brought that on?
>
>Giggling madly at a certain memory ;-)

twitch... twitch... left eye blinks rapidly and independently of
motor control...

My theory, for lack of a better one, is that almond oil is _the_
perfect waterproofing material for rice, and that rice to be cooked
in almond milk either needs to be precooked in water or stock first,
or bruised or pulverized in some way to speed up the process. Maybe
it was extremely hard or soft water, I don't know. What I do know is
that rice, even in quantity, shouldn't take two hours to cook in
plenty of liquid and a heat range providing between a full, rolling
boil to a steady simmer all that time. And just as obviously, the
longer you cook it, the greater the likelihood that it'll burn.

Actually, I believe most blancmanger recipes do specify pre-cooking,
or at least cooking in stock or water before adding the almond milk.
Unfortunately, they don't say why, or warn you what will happen if
you don't.

A.