[Sca-cooks] Sweet rice with fruit

vicki shaw vhsjvs at gis.net
Sun Jan 11 11:29:31 PST 2004

Greetings Phlip
Thanks for the explanation of almond milk.
As for the recipe for sweet rice, I was served a gelatinous dessert at a Buddhist temple once and was told it was sweet rice with sugar and toasted sesame seeds.  They probably added agar (a seaweed; you might remember making cultures in high school chemistry on a medium of agar agar...) to give the gelatinous consistency since the monk is vegetarian and would not have used commercial gelatin which is made of cow's feet.

Ingredients
  a.. Sweet rice (it is round grain and is available in your local oriental grocer or health food supermarket in bulk)
  b.. dried mango, currants, pineapple (or cranberries, if you prefer, in lieu of the black currants).  Dried apple and pear are not good for this.
  c.. grated coconut
  d.. sesame seeds (you can always use pre-toasted ones if you dont want to bother with the roasting step)
  e.. honey
  f.. orange flower water

Recipe
  1.. cook your rice and then dump it into a large bowl to cool
  2.. While the rice is cooking, dice your dried mango and pineapple
  3.. Toast first the sesame seeds stirring all the while over medium heat in a dry cast iron skillet (no oil)
  4.. When the sesame seeds start to jump like fleas, add the coconut and stir all the time so it does not burn.  When it is golden, it is ready
  5.. Now add the fruit and the coconut/sesame to the rice in the bowl.  The rice will still be quite warm and that is good.
  6.. Now add honey, and finally the orange flower water, to taste.  Rose water would do as well, but the orange flower water is better for this (you can get these waters from your local oriental or middle eastern grocers or, if you have neither, they can be ordered by mail)
I did not give proportions because I have never measured anything.  How much honey you add depends on your taste.  Same for the fruit; you can just pepper the rice with the fruit or you can use loads.  Depends on taste.  As for the aromatic waters, I would say a couple of tablespoons would do unless you are preparing a very large amount for a feast.  I would try it the first time for yourself or your family and then adapt it to your needs and/or tastes
That's it!  It is very very delicious warm and can be a great filling breakfast with a cup of steaming tea.

www.omygoddess.biz