[Sca-cooks] Looking for Crab recipes

Phil Troy/ G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius at verizon.net
Sun Jan 11 14:56:56 PST 2004

Also sprach vicki shaw:
>I have sent it!!!
>what I missed is the recipe for licorice flabored cabbage.  I love licorice
>and I use it in one of my lip balms, calling it Paris Bistro!!!  It is
>lip-smacking delish

Recipe 6 in The Forme of Cury, Caboches in potage:

Take caboches and quarter hem, and seeth hem in gode broth with
oynouns ymynced and the whyte of lekes yslyt and ycorue smale. And do
(th)erto safroun & salt, and force it with powdour douce.

As I recall we used a generic sort of vegetable stock base, so
non-meat-eaters would have access. We could have used almond milk,
but there were other almond dishes on the menu so I wanted to avoid
that.

Since this is intended as a pottage, you sort of have to assume that
either the cabbages are cut small, or cooked until spoonable. I opted
for quartering the cabbages, parboiling them in just barely enough
broth to cover them, with the minced onion and chopped leeks,
removing the cabbages from the pot, and letting the rest cook down
while we chopped the cabbages smaller. We then returned them to the
pot with the saffron, cooked them a little longer to meld the
flavors, seasoned with salt, and dished up the pottage (which ended
up like a thick soup or stew of vegetables, with a smallish amount of
liquid). Sprinkled the powder douce (which, depending on who you talk
to, is a premade mixture of sweet spices, or whatever sweet spices
you have powdered at the moment). Some recipes simply call for
sprinkling on sweet spices. We used ginger, cinnamon, and cloves,
plus the oh-so-controversial fennel powder.

Most people seemed to like it, and almost none came back, except for
one tableful of licorice-hating malcontent troublemakers, who sent
their bowl (somewhat diminished, it looked like) back to the kitchen.
People these days. Tsk tsk.

Adamantius