[Sca-cooks] baby bok choy

Phil Troy/ G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius at verizon.net
Sun Jan 11 18:02:49 PST 2004

Also sprach vicki shaw:
>I am just now eating my bbchoy;  it came out very well.  I was a bit
>heavy-handed with the hot sauce but I like hot, so that is ok.
>
>>  That's okay. Some people don't understand when I speak of opening my
>>  tool case and getting out my 10-inch Dick. (And other helpful list
>>  members usually say, "Yeah, I was there, and I saw him get it out.
>>  And he even let me hold it!")
>
>That is good to know!  I was afraid you might be one of those people that
>get all flustered with "too much information"
>>
>  or
>>  various greens cooked with fermented bean curd cheese (like
>>  watercress or amaranth greens in a sauce a bit like salty, melted
>>  Camembert)
>I will pass on that.  I tried it at the Buddhist temple and found it not to
>my liking - and that is putting it very mildly!

It's an acquired taste, but many people simply can't tell what it is,
and don't have some of the unpleasant associations you sometimes get
with words like "fermented" and "bean curd". Basically it's little
cubes of brined bean curd, a little like a very mild feta, but
creamier, in an aromatic brine which tastes a fair amount like white
wine (because it's usually made from white wine). Some versions have
chili added. It grows on you. And no, I don't mean it grows on you
until you apply a good fungicide...

Suffice it to say I've seen too many people eat and enjoy the stuff,
when all they knew was that it was called fu ngoy or fu yi, only to
be upset later when they found out it was... horrors!... bean curd in
brine, melted into a sauce. Yeah, obviously that's right up there
with those fermented embryonic duck eggs they eat in the Philippines,
huh? Cry me a river, folks... ;-)

>May I ask a personal question?  You mentioned speaking Chinese at home.  Are
>you part Chinese or did you study it in School/University and are a scholar,
>or did you travel and learn in China?  If it is a cheeky question, then you
>may ignore it....

Oops, I missed the question until someone else commented on it...

My lady wife's family is from Toysan, in Kwangtung Province. (_She_
was raised in the Bronx ;-). ) She speaks Toysan to her mother, some
family members, and the older inhabitants of New York's Chinatown,
many of whom speak the dialect. It sometimes enters our speech at
home, and very occasionally, when we wish to discuss something
privately in a non-private setting ;-). My fluency is low, but I can
communicate numbers, crude bodily functions, insult people, flirt
with girls, most of the important stuff ;-). She tries as best she
can to preserve the traditions she was raised under, so, for example,
we expect to be busy for the next couple of weeks getting ready for
the Lunar New Year, and one of her pet projects has been to get our
son speaking the dialect, and generally see it survive her generation.

Adamantius, who lives just a bit south of you, in Ostgardr.