[Sca-cooks] Safety in the Kitchen

vicki shaw vhsjvs at gis.net
Sun Jan 11 22:40:00 PST 2004

If I had my druthers, Phlip, I would also go bare-footed, but as a diabetic
that would be taking too great a risk should I step on something sharp or
drop something made of glass that could shatter, because of the risk of
infection.  Diabetics should never go barefoot anywhere.  Even at the beach,
i will wear my sandals all the way to the edge of the water and then remove
them.  There are often pop-top can circles and what have you that people
discard.

I have been following this thread with great interest.  As a soap maker
dealing with lye, I have to cover my face with a bandana or something when I
pour water into the lye in a jar because the fumes are very noxious and
toxic.  And I have to use kitchen mittens to pick up the jar because it gets
very hot.  Even when I make glycerine soap, I have to melt down the soap
base in the microwave and the vessel it is in gets very hot.  Precaution is
my middle name, and I am glad to see that you all are very aware of the
dangers in the kitchen since that is where I am hoping to be allowed to
volunteer.
Vicki

Angharad ferch Iorwerth; MKA Vicki Shaw
Barony Beyond the Mountain