[Sca-cooks] Safety in the Kitchen

Glenda Robinson glendar at compassnet.com.au
Sun Jan 11 23:51:36 PST 2004

Have done this for 18 years without problems.

We always clean the cooking area before and after cooking with boiling
water, a splash of detergent, scrubbing brush and elbow grease. Also, we use
a concentrated cleaning product (not 'antibacterial'), and will wash the
cutting boards in this if anything is suspect. Our cutting boards are oiled
wood. As we are running LH encampments, the cooking fire is used to boil the
water.

We always get each person coming along to the camps without running water to
bring some - usually each person brings 15- 20L for a weekend. We usually
end up with a couple of containers left over.

Why use unfinished wood tables? All tables in the mediaeval period would
have been finished, then scrubbed often as part of the cleaning process.
They would have been quite smooth. Or do you mean unoiled/unlaquered? These
are fine for this process - the wood will no doubt contain its own anti-germ
properties.

Glenda.