[Sca-cooks] Safety in the Kitchen

margali mtraber251 at earthlink.net
Mon Jan 12 06:57:36 PST 2004

in a word [or a few]
Cheap Plastic Picnic Tablecloths and Multiple Cutting Boards*.
Buckets of a Quaternary Antimicrobial Solution
Handwashing Stations [with carried in water]

*they actually make sets of color coordinated knife/cutting board so you
can separate chicken from meat from veggie from dairy, but just make
sure you have multiple cuttingboard, and you wash and sterilize both
knife and cutting board when youchange what you are cutting. Also, be
careful not to cross contaminate mixing bowls/spoons and stirring
spoons. I for example am deathly allergic to mushrooms to teh point that
they are forbidden in our pennsic encampment. we have good kitchen
setup, complete with a sink with hot and cold running water, but i am
still not willing to risk the slightest possibility of dying...

ranvaig at columbus.rr.com wrote:

> I'm going to expand this... How do you handle food safety in an outside
> kitchen?
>
> We cook a feast once a year in a place with NO running water, all water
> and ice are carried in.  This is a living history group, and trying to
> look period.
>
> How do you handle raw meat in places that cant be cleaned easily?
>
> We are using unfinished wood tables, that cant really be cleaned.
> I cover them with clean table cloths, and change as necessary.
> and cutting boards for raw meat.

Aruvqan, nicknamed Margali
http://www.geocities.com/aruvqann/index.html
No matter where you go, there you are.