[Sca-cooks] Safety in the Kitchen

ekoogler1 at comcast.net ekoogler1 at comcast.net
Mon Jan 12 05:31:16 PST 2004

I know this is a living history group and you probably don't want to use anything that isn't period.  However, we do have to be a little more careful with how we handle things as our systems just aren't used to all of those little "nasties" that our ancestors' systems could handle.  Would it be unreasonable to use some of those disposable cutting boards?  Failing that, you should probably have some kind of bleach or something to clean off those wooden cutting boards...particularly after working with poultry.  Or maybe a good dunk in boiling water might kill the nasties.

It is also important that you keep the meat refrigerated up until the time you are ready to cook it.  I know that it's not period, but, as indicated above, better you be a little out of period than to make your audience ill.

Kiri