[Sca-cooks] Safety in the Kitchen

Olwen the Odd olwentheodd at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 12 11:10:29 PST 2004

>Hi everyone
>
>I am giving a lecture at our local practicum on safety in the kitchen.  I
>have
>quite a bit of information and want to round it out more.
>
>I have a few questions which I hope the answers you provide will allow me
>address things I have not thought of.
>
>1.  What do you do to protect yourself in the kitchen from injuries?

We generally have quite a large group in the kitchen at any given time.
Most everyone has an assigned dish or task.  We use common terms like Hold!,
Hot! Clear!, and the ever pleasant "so-n-so has a beer and a sharp knife"!
Some of us are much more comfortable with our own knives and so forth so we
bring those along instead of using guild stuff.  There are enough "athletic"
types in our guild to prevent the more frail from picking up, toting or
transferring heavy items.

>2.  Do you bring your own first-aid kit?  If so what do you consider
>essential?

Our guild has a first aid kit that, frankly, is seldom used but always
present.  In it, along with astringents, bandaids, asprin etc., we also keep
some quick pick up tabs for diabetics.  We have also done an inquirey on who
has what special medical condition, who is to be notified, and what first
can be done to assist while medic is on the way.  On a personal note, since
my asthma is so sever, and extra set of my inhailers are put in a certain
accessable location in the kitchen and everyone gets the announcement of
where they are.  There is always someones vehicle with a working air
conditioner outside too in case I get bad.

>3.  Do you have any personal "problems" and what steps to you take to look
>after yourself - proir, during and after the event?

Well, I guess I covered most of this above, but I always have a frizbee with
me too.  Standing, sitting, and only really using short muscles is very
tiring and a quick five minute pick-up game can give you a nice break and
also stretch out those sore stiff long muscles.  And you are right about
changing your shoes mid day!
As for my asthma, I have also composed a "When to call 911" sheet with
specifics about what to do and what to watch for etc.  Now when I have an
attack it is known how to handle the situation.  Someone gets to be my
"watch friend" and everyone else can carry on with their tasks at hand and
knows I will be ok.  This is sooo much better than 12 or more concered
friends crowding around in concern trying to make me answer questions!! (I
love them all for caring so much though!)

>ie.  I have plantar fascitis and low back problems.  Therefore prior to an
>event I see my chiropractor, I increase the amount of stretches I do and
>try
>to make sure I get a good sleep for the week prior to an event.  During the
>event I try to remember to stretch the problem areas a couple of times,
>wear
>good shoes and change them, ensure I sit a couple of times to rest my legs
>and back.  After the event I see my chiropractor within two days, do more
>stretches, have epsom salt baths and see a massage therapist.
>
>I hope to be able to write a paper from my lecture to put into our Kingdom
>newsletter.
>
>Thanks for any advice, stories and ideas you may have.
>
>Marina
Olwen the Odd