[Sca-cooks] Safety in the Kitchen

John Kemker john at kemker.org
Mon Jan 12 21:19:26 PST 2004

As I've been asked (Hi, Serena!) to be the "Outdoor Chef" for Red Tower
Tourney this fall, I am absorbing this information quite greedily in
possible plans for saying yes.

I've already asked my ladywife, Seonaid, to determine if she could put
together a pigskin apron prior to the event.  The idea is that it would
be better suited to sloughing off liquids, as well as being a reasonably
tough barrier to hot coals, etc.  My concern with even natural fibers in
an apron is that they tend to absorb liquids (Even wool.)  Leather, on
the other hand, is less likely to hold a much liquid, especially if I
oil it well prior to use.  That way, I can always use the hem of the
apron for grabbing hot things, as well as have a reasonably tough apron
to protect my garb from spills, etc.

A lot of this comes from reading safety guidelines for one of my other
hobbies, amateur rocketry.  When dealing with energetic chemicals, it is
standard in many labs to use leather aprons for much the same reason.
Synthetics tend to melt and stick to skin, natural fibers tend to hold
granules of chemicals and liquids, whereas leather provides at least a
few seconds of "I need to get this thing off really quick!" before
things get really critical.  While I don't expect to be handling any
chemicals more energetic than charcoal lighter fluid, it's still nice to
use something that can protect me from some of the heat and messiness
without having to worry about soak-through.

--Cian O'Madadhain

PS:  Serena, the answer is "probably," but I need to see how Autocrating
MWA&S leaves me before I give a definite "yes."