[Sca-cooks] a worrisome quote from Le Menagier

Phil Troy/ G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius at verizon.net
Mon Jan 12 17:10:39 PST 2004

Also sprach Daniel Myers:
>Howdy,
>
>Not only am I having a hard time coming to terms with the passage
>below, but I have the feeling I really don't want to.
>
>"Item, you can tell the age of a hare from the number of openings
>under its tail, for there will be as many openings as years."
>Le Menagier de Paris (Janet Hinson, trans.)
>
>- Doc

This is actually an interesting point. Does someone who knows more
about lagomorphs than I do (which is probably almost everyone), know
what is being referred to? I assume we're not talking about the most
obvious opening that Doc so amusingly implies ;-).

Maybe some kind of musk glands? Empty hair follicles? (I had to pull
the most enormous quill stumps from the butt of a chicken I cooked
this evening, and those left holes behind. In the behind... um... you
know what I mean...)

Or, is this perhaps a little practical joke, a la Margaret Meade,
played on Le Menagier by a poulterer?

Adamantius