[Sca-cooks] a worrisome quote from Le Menagier

Daniel Myers edouard at medievalcookery.com
Mon Jan 12 18:46:34 PST 2004

On Monday, January 12, 2004, at 08:10  PM, Phil Troy/ G. Tacitus
Adamantius wrote:

> Also sprach Daniel Myers:
>> "Item, you can tell the age of a hare from the number of openings
>> under its tail, for there will be as many openings as years."
>> Le Menagier de Paris (Janet Hinson, trans.)
>
> This is actually an interesting point. Does someone who knows more
> about lagomorphs than I do (which is probably almost everyone), know
> what is being referred to? I assume we're not talking about the most
> obvious opening that Doc so amusingly implies ;-).
>
> Maybe some kind of musk glands? Empty hair follicles? (I had to pull
> the most enormous quill stumps from the butt of a chicken I cooked
> this evening, and those left holes behind. In the behind... um... you
> know what I mean...)
>
> Or, is this perhaps a little practical joke, a la Margaret Meade,
> played on Le Menagier by a poulterer?

I found the passage in question in the French version:

"Item, l'en cognoist l'aage d'un lièvre au nombre des pertuis qui sont
dessoubs la queue, car pour tant de pertuis, tant d'ans."
Le Ménagier de Paris (ed. by Jérome Pichon) [from
http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/menagier/ ]

My high-school French is very rusty - and the odd spelling doesn't help
- but I'd read this as:

"Item, one can know the age of a hare from the number of the /pertuis/
that are below the tail, because for each /pertuis/, then of a year."

Babelfish translates "pertuis" as "sluice" - a funny word for this
context.

I'm leaning towards the practical joke theory - this is just too
bizarre.

- Doc