[Sca-cooks] sculpture of a joust

Sharron Albert morgana at gci.net
Mon Jan 12 02:27:30 PST 2004

>Just got this from another list- an ice sculpture of a joust! WOW!
>
>>http://www.chenahotsprings.com/brice_imgs/joust.jpg
>
>'Lainie

Lainie and others:

The joust was a few years ago. They're from the Alaska Ice Festival,
which is held every spring up here in Fairbanks. If you back up and
check out the ballerina (which won the multiple-block competition),
you'll see something the public didn't get to see. It was so warm
that spring (I forget the year), that the ballerina's leg collapsed
shortly after the judging, although the gazebo held. It's a tricky
line, to hold it late enough to not be -30 below (athough the
sculptors work in quite cold temperatures), and have enough daylight
and warmth to encourage people to wander through the park without
freezing their pinkies off. The joust is larger than life-size and
the multiple blocks tend to the spectacular. We've had knights
fighting dragons, and carousels with mythical beasts. There's a
webpage somewhere if you're interested in seeing more of them. (Just
looked it up: www.icealaska.com/)

I try to get a season pass every year, which allows me into the park
while they're still carving them, starting with chain saws. Teams of
sculptors come from all over the world, including Japan and Russia.
You might be able to tell I'm quite enthusiastic about ice art. Right
now, the town is sprouting sculptures, as various businesses contract
for them. One dentist gets the first block of sculpting ice each
year, and has an angel up and lighted by Christmas. Most of them will
last until sometime in April.

We have, apparently, the best carving ice in the world, clear and
beautiful, and much is shipped to other places, including to a recent
winter Olympics, where there was a carving demonstration.

Wish you could all see them in person.

Hope you are all enjoying the winter season. I'm back to lurking (G)...

Morgana