[Sca-cooks] a worrisome quote from Le Menagier

vicki shaw vhsjvs at gis.net
Tue Jan 13 06:32:01 PST 2004

Well. Milady Margali did suggest something of interest which could make the
writer's comment more than a mere FYI;

"well, a lot of modern cookbooks incude tips on chosing meat or produce,
maybe he was indicating that certain shady viandiers werent above
sliding in either cat or old bunny instead of a nice tender young one=)"

So one could say the author slipped in a little anatomy lesson to warn the
unsuspecting housewife to examine said hare just in case it turned out to be
a cat or an old hare....
this then raises a question in my mind, no two:
literacy implies a higher social standing
did the mistress go to the viandiers herself or did she send a servant or
thrall?  and I can just picture her saying to the thrall, now see here, make
sure you lift the tail and count the holes.....if there are too many holes,
dont buy the hare!  And I can just picture the poor slob agonizing over the
anatomy....

You are right, Adamantius, a simple thing like a confusing comment can lead
to learning something new.  And y'all can shoot me down, BANG! BANG!
whenever I am out of line.

Angharad ferch Iorwerth; MKA Vicki Shaw
Barony Beyond the Mountain
East Kingdom