[Sca-cooks] a worrisome quote from Le Menagier

Phil Troy/ G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius at verizon.net
Tue Jan 13 07:09:31 PST 2004

Also sprach vicki shaw:
>literacy implies a higher social standing
>did the mistress go to the viandiers herself or did she send a servant or
>thrall?

She might go for the entertainment value, but the same source speaks
often enough of sending a steward along with various servants, IIRC.
Essentially, it's the mistress's job to train and supervise the
servants, but we don;t know what training or experience this
particular mistress had prior to marriage, just an idea that the
author of the manual thought it necessary to train her. Probably
right and proper by most perspectives, allow her to save face and
earn the respect of the household, etc.

>  and I can just picture her saying to the thrall, now see here, make
>sure you lift the tail and count the holes.....if there are too many holes,
>dont buy the hare!  And I can just picture the poor slob agonizing over the
>anatomy....

More or less... I'm seeing: Q: "What are you doing?" A: "Counting
a******s." Q: "In a Parisian marketplace? Are you kidding? How high
can you count?"

This has been our mandatory off-color line for the day; we now return
you to our normal program of family-oriented broadcasting.

>You are right, Adamantius, a simple thing like a confusing comment can lead
>to learning something new.  And y'all can shoot me down, BANG! BANG!
>whenever I am out of line.

I like to think of it as all of us being here to learn from each
other, sometimes even when we don't know it at the time, or expect it
in advance. Probably the only words ever to emerge from the mouth of
Jim Carrey, that I'll remember in 10 years, is the line, "If you kill
him, he won't learn nuthin'!"

Adamantius