[Sca-cooks] this list was a worrisome quote from Le Menagier

Phil Troy/ G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius at verizon.net
Wed Jan 14 08:09:22 PST 2004

Also sprach <jenne at fiedlerfamily.net>:
>  > >>  The East Kingdom is (approximately) everything
>>  >>  east of the Hudson River,
>>  >Ahem.
>>  >I think you mean the the Susquehanna River, or at least the Delaware.
>>  If I had intended to give a longer and more detailed description,
>>  yes, I would have meant that. However, since I didn't, I didn't. My
>>  failure to do so, was, however, not intended as a slight, so much as
>>  an invitation to the listener to fill in my minimalist sketch with
>>  his or her own common sense.
>
>I think the important thing to bear in mind here is that the description
>is being given by a New Yorker. Remember the "New Yorker's View of the
>World" posters?
>
>FYI: The East Kingdom does includes parts of NY on the west side of the
>Hudson.  It also includes New Jersey, Delaware, and at least 1/3 of
>Pennsylvania.

Sigh... Nice joke, but not remotely my reasoning. Obviously my error
was in trying to describe the  boundaries of the East in rectilinear
terms. Note that a North-South line drawn anywhere along either the
Susquehanna or Delaware Rivers chops off good-sized chunks of
AEthelmearc, whose fine people would then be expressing their
displeasure with me at this moment. Next time I'll create a map, set
up a Web site to host it, and post the URL. You want .pdf, .jpg or
.TIFF?

People are making too much of this.

Adamantius