[Sca-cooks] Preserved Foods

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Wed Jan 14 12:02:44 PST 2004

Angharad wrote:
>  > Olwen wrote:
>  > >  >One - in the fall - will be for Preserved Foods.
>
>I would be interested in that Olwen.  Let me know when the time gets closer.

If you notice the number of "indents" or "quotes" or
greater-than-signs, you'll  see that the competition message is from
me, and the Fall Investiture contest for Preserved Foods will be in
the Principality of the Mists, in the Kingdom of the West, a bit far
from you, Angharad :-)

While foods were preserved in a variety of ways (and i haven't
prepared very many of them, personally), they didn't do canning as we
do now (i assume that's 19th century and came about with some change
in technology - like the glass jars and canning lids) And many some
change in knowledge (about boiling and sealing to keep out germs or
at least to keep the food from decomposing).

What i made had salt and/or vinegar. I don't think any of them would
have kept for greatly extended periods of time.

Anahita