[Sca-cooks] OT Preserved Foods

AEllin Olafs dotter aellin at earthlink.net
Wed Jan 14 13:06:17 PST 2004

Yes, canning is 19th Century.

Napoleon wanted a way to preserve food for his troops. Remember, one of
the secrets of his success was that he treated troops better than most
did at the time, and firmly believed in feeding them well. So he had a
contest for new methods of food preservation.

Someone, I don't remember who (but French, of course) figured out a way
to preserve peas in a champagne bottle (and won the contest!)  Used the
bottle because it withstood pressure. I think they started with a steam
method, which we would consider unreliable, but which was a great
breakthrough. Once the basic idea was there, improvements continued
through the century. It didn't become common practice until fairly late.

Remember this from 19th Century History, not Food History, so I don't
know any more detail...

AEllin