[Sca-cooks] chickpeas chickpeas chickpeas

Lorenz Wieland lorenz_wieland at earthlink.net
Wed Jan 14 13:35:28 PST 2004

jenne at fiedlerfamily.net wrote:
> Can someone tell me a) how much water I need to cook 4 lbs and 6 lbs
> of chickpeas, and b) how long it's likely to take to cook them? I'm
> trying to make up the recipe sheets for my dang feast plan...

I assume these are dried chickpeas, not canned, correct?

If so, you'll need enough water to cover them by about 2 inches, about 4
cups per pound of beans.  If you soak the beans first, it takes about 1.5
hours at a simmer to cook 'em.  At least it does near sea level; your
mileage may vary (a quick check of recipes with chickpeas shows estimated
cooking times ranging from 1.25 to 2 hours).

-Lorenz