[Sca-cooks] OOP Bugs was:International recipe site

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Wed Jan 14 20:27:34 PST 2004

Faerisa mentioned:
> This is apparently a relatively established cuisine.  I picked up (on
> sale),
> _The Eat-A-Bug Cookbook: 33 ways to cook grasshoppers, ants, water
> bugs,
> spiders, centipedes, and their kin_ by David George Gordon, author of
> _The
> Complete Cockroach_.
I recently purchased another similar book although it is a bit more far
ranging.
Strange Foods: Bush Meat, Bats, and Butterflies: An Epicurean Adventure
Around the World
Hopkins, Jerry
ISBN: 9625931546
Periplus Editions. Boston 1999
"Entertainment Weekly

A photo-filled guide to offbeat culinary offerings around the globe."

Explorer's Journal
"lively and entertaining...helpfully includes recipes, such as
"earthworm patties," for many of the plants and animals he discusses."

Book Description
"Bats and beets, silk worms and stewed prunes, scorpions and scampi,
flamingo and flan, ostrich and okra - what we eat and what we don't eat
is largely a matter of habit, history and geographical circumstances,"
author Jerry Hopkins writes in the introduction to Strange Foods.
Chock-full of bizarre gastronomic information from far-flung reaches,
stirred up with bits of anthropological and autobiographical
information, Jerry Hopkins has created a masterpiece about what we eat.
The adventurous reader will find chapters on such delicacies as rat,
dog, elephant, and buffalo. If reptiles are more to your liking, you'll
find information on edible lizards, snakes, and toads. In the final
section, entitled "Leftovers," Hopkins highlights such ersatz
delicacies as fake food and gold and silver. With 250 full-color
photographs by Michael Freeman, Strange Foods is sure to shock and
delight.
<<<<<<<<
Stefan
--------