[Sca-cooks] Safety in the Kitchen

UlfR ulfr at hunter-gatherer.org
Thu Jan 15 21:37:32 PST 2004

Phil Troy/ G. Tacitus Adamantius <adamantius at verizon.net> [2004.01.15] wrote:
> I wasn't aware of the 16-month-old. Congratulations!

Probably because I haven't seen a need for mentioning her here before.
And thanks. It feels good to see a baby snarf black pudding, quiche
lorraine, saumon in cawdel, and beef y stewed with the same abandon.
Currently she'll ignore any of these for a piece of bread, but...

> I can't hurt! But bear in mind that my purpose for leaping headfirst
> into that convection oven was to keep a motor from blowing.

Beats general food and utensil salvage (IIRC my latest "daring rescue" was
a wooden spoon that made a leap for freedom, out of the pot into the
fire). The nice thing about grabbing pieces of meat out of the flames is
that I get to eat what I catch; light coatings of ashes are easy to
brush off, and pretty harmless anyway.

> >Hot water and soap is all you need under anything remotely sane for
> >cooking conditions.
>
> I agree.

Having used that method for several years cooking for small groups under
essentially early iron age conditions (modulus Al-pots, Sabatier chef
knife, etc) around campfires with no problems I and my friends are proof
of this. Once food is done a pot of water goes on the fire, and hot
water is ready when the food is eaten.

> substitute. It's just every so often you see someone doing something
> absolutely horrifying... but at least they brought antibacterial gel,

It may be mixed topsoil and nail-clippings, but being more or less
sterile it's fine in the food?

> and it's hard to make them understand, when they do that, that no
> amount of antibacterial gel can compensate for dripping the raw
> chicken juice into the cooling custard.

I suspect that 5 cc of said gel injected subcutaneously might be just
the ticket, but I also suspect that this might fall under the cruelty to
animals statues. And the custard would still be a goner.

UlfR

UlfR Ketilson                               ulfr at hunter-gatherer.org
"First they came for the verbs, and I said nothing because verbing
weirds language.  Then they arrival for the nouns, and I speech nothing
because I no verbs."		-- Peter Ellis on afp