[Sca-cooks] cold green sauce?

James Prescott prescotj at telusplanet.net
Thu Jan 15 23:13:04 PST 2004

At 10:05 -0700 2004-01-15, Kathleen A. Roberts wrote:
>  i am trying to find a COLD green sauce for cold poached chicken...
> as medieval as possible.   mebbe a garlic/herb emulsion?

If you go to Viandier (c 1395), there are at least three possibilities
suggested for use with chicken or other fowl.  The second (# 155) is
quite like the garlic/herb emulsion you mention.

The first (# 68) is explicitly for cold chicken.  I first cooked this
for a pentathlon competition back in 1990.  I have my redaction which
I can type in if this is the sauce you choose.

68. Cold Sage [Sauce].

Take your chicken, cook it in water, and put it to cool.  Crush
ginger, cassia flowers, grains of paradise and cloves, without
sieving.  Crush bread, parsley and sage, with a bit of saffron in the
greens (if you wish it to be bright green), and strain through
cheesecloth.  Some sieve into it hard cooked egg yolks steeped in
vinegar.  Cut your chicken into halves, quarters or limbs, and put
them on plates with the sauce on top.  If there were hard cooked
eggs, cut them into bits with a knife and not with the hand.

These two are not specifically for cold chicken:

155. Green Garlic [Sauce].

Crush garlic, bread and greens, and steep together.

216. Green Verjuice [Sauce].

Take sorrel including the stem, steep in some other verjuice, strain
[through cheesecloth], and add a bread crust so that it does not
turn.  (A 1490 printed edition quoted by Pichon et al., p. 194.)

Thorvald