[Sca-cooks] cold green sauce?

Phil Troy/ G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius at verizon.net
Thu Jan 15 09:59:18 PST 2004

Also sprach Kathleen A. Roberts:
>i am trying to find a COLD green sauce for cold poached chicken...
>as medieval as possible.   mebbe a garlic/herb emulsion?

There aren't a lot of emulsified sauces in period. Some, but not
many. The one or two I can recall seeing were Spanish, I believe.

Green sauces are _usually_, but not always, cold. I was just reading
from The Enseignements, c. ~1300 CE, which recommends various fresh
cuts of pork and mutton, as well as several fish dishes, be served
with a green sauce made without garlic, implying that there were
probably situations where a green sauce _with_ garlic would be
appropriate. The only specific reference I can find in that source to
one such case is with roast fresh pork -- I stress fresh because
about every other line in this source is, "and if it is salted," in
the preservation sense, not merely seasoned with salt, "serve it with
mustard." When the author specifies, his green sauce tends to include
sage and parsley, pepper and ginger, moistened with vinegar,
verjuice, or pure wine. Odile Redon, in "The Medieval Kitchen", says
one could make a case for those green sauces which fail to
specifically mention a bread thickener, may include it anyway, as
being so obvious as to make mentioning it unnecessary. I'm sure this
is debatable, but the most common form for a green sauce in the
Middle Ages seems to be bread (the soft white inner crumb works best;
no toast and no toasted commercial breadcrumbs need apply; they spoil
the color and the texture), parsley, sage (more parsley than sage, I
suspect, but one never knows), and various spices, ginger and pepper
being the most common, but occasonally others, including cloves,
grains of paradise and saffron can be included too.

There are about a million surviving medieval and renaissance green
sauce recipes out there. Maybe someone has adapted recipes available?
I usually don't bother with modern adaptations much anymore, except
for making shopping lists...

Adamantius