[Sca-cooks] Re: Back to PETA,

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Fri Jan 16 02:21:17 PST 2004

At 10:22 PM 1/15/2004, you wrote:
>Well, the thing is, that these people just don't think. If tomorrow, every
>American became a vegetarian, just what would happen to all these uneaten
>animals? Would they be turned out to starve? Or "killed humanely" and thrown
>in a pile to rot?No doubtr, they'd expect the farmers raising them to care
>for them for the rest of their natural lives- and try to legislate it.
>Trouble being, that the farmers woulkd quickly starve to death, including
>the big corperations.

The thing that they forget, while they're getting all self-righteous, is
that their whole existence is compromised. Do they drive? The fuels they
burn are damaging the environment, not to mention contributing to our
dependence on foreign oil, which feeds into the war machine- *and* most of
that oil comes from countries that treat women worse than animals. Biking
isn't so bad, but what's on their feet? Shoes of leather? Of course not-
they'd rather wear shoes made of vinyl or rubber. Vinyl is made of
petrochemicals (see argument above), and rubber production contributes to
the deforestation of the rain forest. In addition, there's the
environmental damage done by the factories and processes involved in making
either vinyl or rubber into things we put on our feet.

Clothing? Cotton is sort of ok- at least if it wasn't treated or dyed in
the factory, or sewn by some 9-year-old in Bangladesh, who earns 50cents a
week and may or may not get a meal today. Hemp? Bully for them. Same thing
about the dye or treatment (they put chemicals on fabric in process, to
keep it moving through the machinery smoothly. Usually it washes out).
Polyester? Go back to the thing about petrochemicals. And do you know what
production of synthetic fabrics puts into our sewers and waterways? Ugly!
Fish grow extra limbs! Bugs die! Guys like Rush Limbaugh crawl out of the
primordial stew and imagine that they are intelligent beings!

How about the care of that clothing? Water, soap, wear and tear on the
washing machine, *electricity*- that's a big one. How many fish died so you
could run your washer or tv? (Ok- I live in Oregon, where nearly all of our
juice is hydroelectric- damn dams.) Coal fired plants? How 'bout nuclear?
Did some sweet lil PETA member forgo her morning ultra-organic,
cruelty-free, rain-forest-friendly coffee to save a few atoms and a
buttload of atomic waste that NEVER GOES AWAY?

She'd better stop eating things out of cans, things that are vacuum-packed,
things that are wrapped in plastic or paper (pulp mills! talk about
nasty!), better start wearing clothing braided from her own hair, stop
using electricity, gas, oil, stop burning wood (there's bugs in there, you
know! Poor darlings!). Maybe a hut on a rock somewhere, provided she can do
so without depriving that snake from it's favorite place to sun itself...

Hand me that leather jacket and shoes, and cut me a callop! I'm unrepentant
in my omnivore status, and I refuse to buy their line of BULL. Even if they
don't want to eat it. Life is made of compromises, and this is one of them.
They aren't seeing the whole picture, and the hypocrisy annoys me. If they
prefer not to eat animal products, cool. but they can cut out the
'holier-than-thou' stance. It only means they are ignorant of how
interdependent this world is. You cannot opt out of part of it and think
you've avoided it altogether.

Done with my rant. Now back to our regular programming (But that felt
really GOOD!)

'Lainie
"To announce that there must be no criticism of the president ... right or
wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to
the American public." -- Teddy Roosevelt, 1918