[Sca-cooks] OOP Bugs was:International recipe site

Phil Troy/ G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius at verizon.net
Fri Jan 16 03:29:25 PST 2004

Also sprach Phlip:
>Ene bichizh ogsen baina shuu...
>
>>  > I wonder if that's the right word. What is the
>>  > brass of the animals? I ask only because it
>>  > sounds good, but brass is kind of hard on the
>>  > teeth.
>>
>>  Swedish "bräss": English "thymus"?
>>
>>  UlfR
>
>OK- that would work- it would translate into "sweetbreads" in English.
>Occasionally eaten, but generally unknown in the US- part of the "icky"
>bits....

Yeah, they're icky, they have a weird texture,
they have weird gelatinous membranes that need to
be removed. But ya know what? Don't kill an
animal if you're not gonna eat it, okay? (Also
they're high in cholesterol, I believe, and no, I
am not lecturing Phlip on this; I know how she
feels about it.)

But they're good blanched whole, then trimmed,
cooled, sliced and recooked. Basically like
brains as far as preparation and presentation go,
and somewhat similar in flavor, too, but firmer
in texture. Very rich.

There used to be a chef named Brian Halloran who
split his time between the kitchens of
Locke-Ober's in Boston and a little
transplanted/restored English manor house
restaurant in Newport, RI, the Clarke-Cook House,
who used to make a fricassee of sweetbreads and
lobster that I'll never forget, but my favorite
is still the very basic char-grilled
slices/chunks common all around South America.

Adamantius