[Sca-cooks] A choice of multiple feasts at the same SCA event

Phil Anderson urizen at paradise.net.nz
Fri Jan 16 17:54:29 PST 2004

Stefan wrote:

> Several times in the past on this list, I have brought up the idea of
> serving several types of feasts simultaneously at the same SCA event.
> [...]
> I still like the idea because it gives those who are just interested in
> something to eat, and don't care if it is period or not, a chance to get
> fed and thus they shouldn't complain about the "wierd" food

A double feast is planned for Lochac's November 2004 crown tourney in
Ildhafn, but the concept of having the below-the-salt be non-period
certainly never occurred to anyone. Maybe the locals are just not
picky eaters -- complaints about "weird food" are pretty unusual. The
aim is mainly, I believe, to allow for a fancier feast for the victor
and a few others, and a normal feast for the other people in
attendance.

> I also think that a bit of friendly competition between different teams
> of cooks might inspire these teams to even greater efforts.

The fancy feast in this case will be more expensive and severely
limited in numbers, but the cooks for the lower orders (imported as a
team from another city) have every intention of trying to present a
better meal than the other team does. It's certainly going to be an
interesting experiment :-)

Phil/Edward