[Sca-cooks] hanging meat:::was PETA

Phlip phlip at 99main.com
Fri Jan 16 20:21:38 PST 2004

Ene bichizh ogsen baina shuu...

> > > As far as hanging them upside down, two reasons- partly to drain the
> blood,
> Does anything bad happen if you butcher an animal that hasn't had it's
blood
> drained? Or the majority of it's blood drained?
>

> Phillipa

Well, blood, being a liquid, will tend to run downhill, so if you don't have
the animal upside down, with its major blood vessels open, it's going to get
a bruised appearnce in whatever area is down. I understand it neither looks
nor tastes particularly good, but since I've always done as I was taught,
and hung the animal shortly after slaughter, I can't tell you first hand. I
do know that there's nothing wrong with the blood, or we wouldn't have so
many recipes for blood sausages and the like.

I'm betting you're asking because of all the Jewish prohibitions, right? ;-)

Incidently, one method they use in a suspicious human death to determine if
the body has been moved is to look at where the blood has settled. If
everything is at the bottom of whatever position the body is in, then
chances are the death occurred right there- if there's an anomaly, then
probably the body has been moved. Blood dies and congeals very shortly after
death- so if, for example, all the blood had drained to the right side, but
it was lying on its left side, then something needs to be accounted for.

Saint Phlip,
CoDoLDS

 Blacksmith's credo.

cat.