More period critters- Re: [Sca-cooks] back to food was PETA

Phlip phlip at 99main.com
Sat Jan 17 10:24:57 PST 2004

Ene bichizh ogsen baina shuu...

> I seem to recall reference to the fact that there were period, now no
longer
> extant, breeds of rather large sheep that were bred more for meat and
> perhaps milk than for their wool.  When I say large think of the Odyssey
bit
> with the Cyclops.  Anyone have any input in this regard as it might
pertain
> to recipes that appear to call for larger than what is currently available
> cuts of mutton?
>
> Daniel

Sorry- changed the subject line, so Master Johann would be likely to read it
;-)

I'd be very interested in more period breeds. One breed that has my
curiosity up, are the "fat tailed sheep" mentioned in a couple of Arabic (I
think) recipes. Certainly, larger sheep would be of interest too.

I suspect that the reason sheep never got bred up for fat was that they're
basicly designed to live on more marginal land, so that a breed which grows
and develops well on a strctly grass diet isn't likely to get as marbled,
as, say, pigs and cattle, which are confined and fed grains. I imagine that
the free range hogs in the MA were pretty lean, although I'm sure that there
were some confined and fattened, like the example in Platina.

Johann- have you got any input or insight into these breeds? Maybe know of
breeders, or references you might share? Something like the Sand Hill
catalogue would be great- speaking of which, if I wanted to order a period
breed of chickens, what would you suggest, as easy keepers, not likely to
challenge that idiot rooster of mine, Cogburn, for dominance.

Saint Phlip,
CoDoLDS

 Blacksmith's credo.

cat.