[Sca-cooks] back to food was PETA

Dan Phelps phelpsd at gate.net
Sat Jan 17 09:28:19 PST 2004

Was written:

> To my knowledge, there has never been a concentrated effort to breed
> leaner sheep as there has been with hogs. Most efforts in the
> sheep-breeding arena were aimed at larger, more muscular animals, more
> robust animals, ewes that lamb prolifically (ie, twins) and easily), and
> traits that help with various ovine diseases and suchlike. Oh, and wool.

I seem to recall reference to the fact that there were period, now no longer
extant, breeds of rather large sheep that were bred more for meat and
perhaps milk than for their wool.  When I say large think of the Odyssey bit
with the Cyclops.  Anyone have any input in this regard as it might pertain
to recipes that appear to call for larger than what is currently available
cuts of mutton?

Daniel