[Sca-cooks] Vatican Library

Wanda Pease wandap at hevanet.com
Sat Jan 17 14:50:42 PST 2004

Not to be contentious but:  return the books where?  Would you want them to
disperse their collection all over the world?  As in:  Well, in 1215 this
book came from the synagogue in Cairo, so it should go back to Egypt?  Do
you think all books of Jewish origin should go back to Jerusalem, or Tel
Aviv?

Sorry, I think the books are far safer in the Vatican Library than they
would be in Israel (thinking of the tomb of Joseph) at the moment.

I'd like to see more collections available on the web (yes, I realize this
is a dream hamstrung by lack of time, money, and knowledgeable people, but
look at how many sources are up, and how many SCA people have worked to put
rare things up.  Cariadoc and Elizabeth, Stefan's Florilegium, Geoffrey of
Isenfir to name a very few).  It they were available on the web, the
original volumes could rest safely in storage, and everyone could wear the
edges off the Internet files or CDs.

However, I heartily agree that scholars should be allowed into Libraries
with proper credentials, and that one of those credentials Should Not be
religious affiliation.

Books are the common history of Humanity and libraries are the guardians and
repositories of them.

Regina Romsey