[Sca-cooks] back to food was PETA

Phlip phlip at 99main.com
Sat Jan 17 22:43:25 PST 2004

Ene bichizh ogsen baina shuu...

> Well, yeah, but Ulfr was talking about contaminating the meat by it coming
> in contact with the *wool*.
>
> I know in commercial production they shear the sheep to make butchering
> easier (or so a friend of mine assures me--she's into both fiber and
> toxicology). Does it make as much of a difference when it's by hand, as it
> were?
>
> Margaret

Kinda depends on how long the wool is. You wouldn't ask someone with a crew
cut to tie up their hair working in a kitchen, but you might ask someone
with long(er) hair to do so, longer being a matter of judgement.

Personally, I never have, but all the sheep I've butchered had fairly short
coats. At the Pennsic class, though, one lady busily cut the hair from the
pelt while the rest of us were cutting up the meat- dunno if she got enough
to spin- didn't discuss it with her after that..

But, I could definitely see doing it, if it was long enough- after all, a
fleece is a commodity too.

Saint Phlip,
CoDoLDS

 Blacksmith's credo.